Senior Product Design Engineer
About the role
We are looking for engineers with “T-shaped skill sets”, i.e. with particular engineering specialisms but being comfortable working in the broader electronic / software / product design environment. We have around 12 engineers in these areas (within a total of 65 employees) so teams are small and flexibility is important.
As a product design engineer we would expect you to spend most of your time working in:
- Mixed low-frequency analogue and digital electronic circuit design, schematic capture, PCB layout, prototype testing, manufacture, test and integration, including microcontrollers, DSPs, FPGAs and, increasingly, power electronics;
- Product and mechanical design for user experience and manufacturing, including prototyping and small- to mid-volume processes; and
- Verification and type testing to international standards, with external laboratories.
Our development teams’ broader skills should be comfortable working around:
- Software for embedded microprocessors (for RTOS, Linux and bare metal), PCs and web, with a variety of tools, frameworks and support infrastructures, including virtualisation and containers;
- Overall system architecture and design, with automated build, integration and test;
- A variety of team and stream management practices built typically on iterative, agile patterns;
- Specification, implementation and verification of advanced multi-layer communication protocols; and
- Applications needing an understanding of power systems, their control, interfacing measurements and actuation including transformers and electromagnetics (VTs and CTs), and design of control algorithms.
For a senior engineering role it is expected that you will:
- Take on a technical leadership role within a team (formal or informal) for the development of a product;
- Guide, develop and mentor more junior engineers and apprentices.
Qualifications. You have a degree or equivalent knowledge in product design, embedded systems design, or electrical, electronic or software engineering.
Essential requirements. You have demonstrated capability and experience (backed up by theoretical knowledge) in:
- Reading, understanding and communicating through conversation, technical specifications and drawings;
- Working both collaboratively and individually on new and existing products;
- Analogue electronic design;
- Writing and running code on embedded microcontrollers such as PIC16, DSPIC, TI OMAP or SOM in C/C++ or other language;
- Designing products that comply with various national and international safety, EMC and other standards;
- Using commercial PCB design software such as Altium, simulating and prototyping to ensure the design works first time;
- Estimating work and delivering on commitments; planning and managing your own time; and
- Taking a product through its entire life cycle.
Desirable. The following capability and experience would be an advantage:
- Basic knowledge of Power Systems Engineering
- Writing applications that run under real-time operating systems
- Electronics that measure voltages, currents, phase angles and harmonics
- Scrum as a way of working and coordinating effort
- Common control hardware and protocols such USB, CAN, RS485, SPI and SCADA protocols such as MODBUS, DNP3, IEC60870 and IEC61850
- Rapid prototyping techniques to deliver value sooner
- Full UK driving licence
- 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays (pro rata for part time)
- Option to buy up to 5 days additional holiday per year
- Company sick pay on completion of probation
- Discretionary bonus scheme linked to company profits
- Life Assurance
- 24/7 Employee Helpline
- Professional membership support
- Cycle to work scheme
- Subsidised flu jabs
- Summer and Christmas parties
- Complementary fruit in our offices
Apply for this role
Please submit an application letter stating which fields you would like to be considered for and why you believe you are suitable for the role, supported by a CV, to firstname.lastname@example.org.